This sweet and tangy chutney is the perfect accompaniment to spicy samosas, bhajya or pakoras. We also regularly use it for bhel and chaats to add some sweetness. It’s super easy and quick to make and will keep in the fridge for a few days.
- 150g dried and pitted kajoor (dates)
- 2 tbsp ambli paste (tamarind paste)
- ¼ tsp lal chutney (red chilli powder), to taste
- ¼ tsp nimak (salt), to taste
- Place the kajoor and ambli paste in a mixing bowl and cover with 750ml of boiling water so that they are completely submerged. Cover and leave for an hour to let the dates soften
- Add the lal chutney and nimak and blend until smooth. As always, feel free to experiment with the amount of lal chutney and nimak based on your taste – we tend to keep ours quite mild. You can also add a little water to thin it out if you prefer your chutneys more runny