Moong Bhath is a dish that my Mum always makes for me whenever I’m unwell and it never fails to make me feel better. We make ours with yoghurt so that it’s goes nice and creamy but it’s easy enough to make a vegan version by leaving it out.
- 1 cup moong beans, rinsed
- 1 ½ tbsp thel (sunflower oil)
- 1 ½ tsp nimak (salt)
- 2 green chillies, pureed
- 1” ginger pureed (more if you’re feeling unwell!)
- 3 cloves of garlic, pureed
- 1/3 can tinned tomato (approx. 160g)
- 1 tsp rai (black mustard seeds)
- 1 heaped tsp jeeru (cumin)
- 1 heaped tsp dhana jeeru (ground coriander and cumin)
- 1 tsp hardar (turmeric)
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp yoghurt (optional)
- Dhana, chopped (coriander leaves), to garnish
- 1 cup basmati rice
Method for the Moong:
- In a pressure cooker add moong beans, ½ tbsp thel, 1 tsp nimak and add 1.5 litres boiling water. Stir once and then leave to cook on a high heat for approximately 5 minutes (or up to one ‘whistle’) and then onto a low heat for approximately 10 minutes. Every pressure cooker is slightly different and some people cook in a regular pan so vary the timings to suit you – basically cook the beans until they’re soft.
- While the beans are cooking, in another pan add 1 tbsp thel on a high heat. Once hot, add in the rai. When they pop, add the jeeru, tomato, ginger, chilli and garlic and stir well.
- Add the dhana jeeru, hardar, ½ tsp nimak and garam masala. Cook this masalo for a couple of minutes and then leave off the heat until the beans are cooked. Once off the heat, add in the yoghurt (if using) and stir well.
- Add the cooked beans into the masalo and simmer for a few minutes.
- Garnish with dhana and serve with the bhath
Method for the Bhath:
- Rinse the rice in cold water until the water runs clear
- Put into a pan with 1 ½ litres of boiling water
- Boil for approximately 15 minutes on a high heat
- To check that the rice is cooked, see if a grain of rice squashes with the back of a spoon
- Once cooked, strain in a colander and serve.
Mix a big bowlful of Moong and Bhath together and enjoy!